I'm not a very religious person, but I don't denigrate the faith of others, and sometimes I think there is much to be envied in that faith. I just came across a passage in one of Munro's stories about prayer, and I think it's the best passage in fiction I've ever read on faith as a positive force.
Typically, the story also has the other side of faith/religion, regarding this same mother's indifference to her daughter's (the narrator's) desire to be further educated, because according to the mother it doesn't matter to God: "This was the first time I understood how God could become a real opponent, not just some kind of nuisance or large decoration."
Anyway, this also reminds me of my own mother's recent increase in faith. There's been a lot going on in my family the past year, and I think this faith has made her better able to deal with that, and generally mellowed her out. I feel like I've been able to reason with her more that before, in any case.
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment