Tuesday, March 3, 2009

More on Slouching...

I finished this book last night--I don't know what it was, but this time I couldn't put it down. I liked the essays in all three parts, and I can't pick out a favorite, though different essays remind me of different people ("Los Angeles Notebook," for better or for worse, and "Letter from Paradise"), or even make me think about episodes in my life I couldn't quite give shape to ("On Going Home" and "Goodbye to All That"). Speaking of the latter, here's something that made me think of a recent conversation with a friend about growing up:
"Goodbye to All That"That was the year, my twenty-eighth, when I was discovering that not all of the promises would be kept, that some things are in fact irrevocable and that it counted after all, every evasion and every procrastination, every mistake, every word, all of it.
Something to think about as I get into the last few weeks of my twenty-eighth year...

No comments:

Post a Comment